Recipe type: Dessert
Chocolate Vla is a Dutch food recipe of chocolate custard pudding.
- 1 quart milk (or half-and-half)
- 2 oz cornstarch
- 3 oz sugar
- 4 to 6 cubes cooking chocolate
- In a saucepan, scald the milk and remove from heat. Melt 4–6 cubes cooking chocolate in the hot milk before adding the cornstarch mix.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with the sugar and 4 tablespoons of the scalded milk until smooth to make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the milk in the saucepan, constantly stirring.
- Return the saucepan to low heat, and allow to simmer for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Keep whisking every 5 minutes until the vla is lukewarm.
- Remove from heat, add 2 tbsp cold water, then add to the hot milk.
- Stir until the caramel is dissolved.