Pumpkin Meringue Pie is a pumpkin pie topped with meringue. A traditional meringue pumpkin pie recipe.
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
Meringue (use half for a shorter meringue)
- 6 egg whites (4 of the reserved egg whites plus 2 additional)
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine ingredients for pie, and mix well. Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake pie at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- To make the meringue, add egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar and beat all three ingredients together until still and able to form peaks.
- Spread meringue over the top of the pie (when it has finished baking in step 3) to the edge of the crust, sealing the pie.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Chill before
Note: to make a higher meringue, use an additional 3 egg whites, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/3 cup of sugar.