1 lb chicken breast or thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 lb andouille chicken sausage (7 links), sliced, or smoked sausage of choice
1 to 2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (the more shrimp the better)
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3 or 4 clove fresh garlic, minced
2 stalk(s) celery, sliced, optional
1 qt diced tomatoes, or a large (28 oz) can, undrained
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c dry white wine
1 tsp oregano, dried
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp cajun seasoning ( mr. pete’s or zatarains are both good)
1 tsp everglades seasoning (can use an add’l tsp of cajun seasoning if you can’t find this)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
1. Layer chicken pieces and sausage slices in bottom of crock pot. Peel and devein shrimp; keep refrigerated until ready to add.
2. Combine onion, pepper, celery and garlic; layer on top of meat. NOTE: I had every intention of adding celery but I forgot. This Jambalaya was still outstanding.
3. Combine tomatoes, broth, wine and seasoning; pour over onion/pepper mixture.
4. Set crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 4 hours. Add shrimp the last 20 minutes of cooking time. (You can cook on LOW for 8 hours) NOTE: taste test before adding shrimp; add additional seasoning if desired at this point. I did not find it necessary to add anything extra, flavor was perfect for me.
5. To serve, place a scoop of hot rice in a bowl and spoon jambalaya over rice.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!