CHEESECAKE FLAN RECIPE
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package, 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can, 12 oz evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small saucepan add sugar. Melt over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden.
- Remove from heat and pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a 8″ or 9″ inch round pan. Swirl the pan to spread evenly. Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well until combined.
- Skim off the foam using a spoon or spatula or pour the cream cheese mixture through the strainer over the pan with caramel.
- Place the pan in a larger pan with hot water about halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Loosely cover the pan with foil. (only during the first 45 minutes).
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until set. (Toothpick can be inserted into the center and must come out almost clean.
- Remove the pan from water and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or better overnight.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to unmold and invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve and enjoy :)
- Please see important notes below.
- You want a nice golden caramel so do not burn the sugar or it will taste bitter.
- Make sure that the caramel has already cooled down before transferring the cheesecake mixture.
- Cover with foil to avoid burning the top. (Only during the first 45 minutes of baking time.
- Oven temperature varies. Always check before the set time.
- Skimming off the foam on top of the mixture or straining will avoid bubbles in your flan.
- Mine took about 75 minutes to bake and it was perfect 🙂
- This can also be steamed for one hour or until toothpick test comes out clean. Make sure to cover the plan tightly with foil the entire time while steaming.
- Recipe makes about 8-12 servings.